I love stews, soups, and meat and potatoes… Guess that’s the Russian in me, huh?
It’s almost October and while the days are still warm the nights are getting cooler. I love fall weather, fall outfits, decorations, tea and coffee… Call me a Basic Bitch but I don’t care!
The crock pot gets used here and there throughout the warmer months but it really takes real estate on the kitchen table during the colder months. I am a huge fan of soup. I could eat it breakfast, lunch and dinner. It’s filling, easy to make, low cal/low carb and comforting. I made a huge batch Sunday night and having it for lunch every day this week.
1.5cup per serving
- 2 large onions-diced
- 2 large celery stalks-diced
- 2 large carrots-diced *In our house, the more carrots the better. Especially because our dog loves boiled carrots. Most of the time, I empty a small bag of baby carrots in the soup and scoop a bunch out for Mr.Marty Party Pants
- 4 slices cooked bacon diced (do not get rid of bacon drippings)…If you prefer sausage, I bet some crumbled sausage would be good
- 1 TSP Salt and pepper (or more to taste)
- Italian seasoning to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth (I used College Inn)
- 1 LB boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into itty bitty pieces
- 2 Cups fresh spinach
- *Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cook bacon
- While bacon is cooking, chop up onions, carrots and celery
- Chop up chicken and season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning
- Remove bacon from pan and cook chicken in drippings (add oil or butter if needed) until chicken is browned
- Remove chicken and saute veggies for about 5-10 min then add one cup of the chicken broth and cook for another 5 minutes, scraping the pan to loosen browned bits
- Add chicken, veggies, bacon and remaining broth to crock pot and cook on high for 3 hours
- After 3 hours, add spinach and stir till wilted