A few things before we get started on this DELICIOUS recipe.
- This is a make ahead recipe. YAY! Do it on Sunday and it should last a minimum of 4 meals. So, you either got dinner covered Monday through Thursday or your lunches covered… However you decide to split this meal up, you end up with some free time on your hands 🙂
- Healthy- you get protein/grains from quinoa and brown rice, protein from chicken, you get veggies and cheese and poblano peppers and tomatoes. EEEEE!!!! So good.
- This recipe was adapted from the Cooking Light April 2016 issue. They called it King Ranch Chicken and Quinoa Casserole. My husband and I both agreed that it tasted more like a stew.
- Final point- the pictures do it no justice. Stews always look like a mish mosh of stuff. But stews are usually so delicious. So here ya go!
1.5 cups per serving about 4 servings in this dish
- 1.5 cups of rotisserie chicken chopped/shredded or homemade shredded chicken
- 2 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice
- 5 tbls EVOO
- 3 poblano peppers chopped and seeded
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 1 tbsl minced garlic
- 2 tbls all purpose flour
- 2 tsps cumin
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1- 14.5 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1- 4 ounce can of mild chopped green chiles
- 3.5 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 8inch square baking dish
- Optional: chopped scallions on top
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Mix 1 tbls EVOO with cooked quinoa and spread across baking sheet and bake for 10-15 min (this step is really optional… it just gives a crispiness to the quinoa). We also used a quinoa/brown rice blend because that’s all we had on hand and it came out delicious… so if you don’t have quinoa, think about substituting it with brown rice.
- Heat a dutch oven with olive oil, add poblano peppers, onion and garlic. Sautee for about 5 minutes.
- Stir flour, cumin, chili powder. Then add stock, tomatoes, and green chiles. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in chicken.
- Pour half the mixture at the bottom of the dish, top with half quinoa/brown rice and add 2 ounces of cheese. Repeat layers once more.
- Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes
I seriously wanted to eat the entire thing in one sitting. I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did.
If you love Fat Girls Fitness, subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter.
(We won’t spam you)
And/or follow Fat Girls Fitness on Facebook 🙂
6 thoughts on “Make ahead Chicken and Quinoa Stew”
Tastes really good too. Stews are so filling and are such a comfort food. Totally satisfied after eating this.
I will have to save this for a later day
Excellent. Let me know your thoughts if you try this out.
LikeLiked by 1 person
looks good, macros look good too! can’t wait to try it.