Majority of the time, Sunday’s are dedicated to food shopping, meal prepping and getting ready for the week. Yesterday was no exception.
What usually happens is, I go through the store circulars, store coupons and manufacturer coupons and plan our meals based on the deals of the week. I’m on a budget! “Look babe! Turkey is 99 cents per pound. Are you good with turkey this week?” “Yea, anything is good,” says my husband.
Yesterday was not one of those days…
$178.00 later: 2 lbs ground turkey, chicken breast, fresh salmon, shrimp, fruits, cauliflower, sweet potato, mozzarella cheese, eggs, almonds, strawberries, apples etc…. And my small list became this ginormous list and I was overwhelmed by the cost but the food was already scanned and bagged and the next thing I know, I am home prepping 1,000 things I had not planned on.
I stumbled upon Peas & Crayons Slow Cooker Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Soup recipe and had to give it a try. If any parents are reading this and have trouble getting your kids to eat their veggies, this is a good one. The sweet potato overpowers the cauliflower taste.
This recipe also gave me an excuse to purchase an immersion blender and I am in love. It is way better than a handheld mixer that you use for baking… I dread using those things because most of the food ends up on the walls.
Yields: 16 cups (8oz) and freezes well!
- 2 pounds Sweet Potato (Approx 2 large potatoes)- peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds fresh head of cauliflower- roughly chopped
- Original recipe calls for 1 quart veggie broth, I used chicken broth for extra flavor
- 1 large onion-diced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled. I minced my garlic
- 4 stalks scallion- chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme- I did not have this so I used oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you really like a kick)
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste- My hubby said it was enough salt. I had to add more to my soup
- 2 cups milk
- 2oz. cream cheese
- Put everything into your crock pot except for milk and cream cheese. Set on high for 4-5 hours or until veggies are fork tender (took mine 4 hours)
- Once tender, turn slow cooker off, add milk and cream cheese and blend using an immersion blender.
- I topped our soups off with crumbled bacon, scallions and shredded cheese.
Stay tuned for a Caprese meatball recipe. So good!