The hardest part about living a low carb lifestyle is the pasta limitation. I have to be honest though, the part about not eating pasta doesn’t bother me as much as the convenience factor. It’s so easy to boil pasta and toss sauce or meat with it, right?
We have some pretty awesome alternatives that offer way more nutrition and way less carbs and calories. Zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, carrot and sweet potato noodles to name a few. Let me know if you have any other veggie noodle ideas, I am always open to trying new things!
I wanted to make something quick, easy, and light for dinner.
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 onion-chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce (we like our food with a kick!)
- 2tbsp evoo
- 1tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup chicken broth or white cooking wine
- grated parm cheese (optional)
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Spiralize zuchini and squeeze out as much liquid as possible, season with a pinch of salt and put to the side
- Heat 1tbls olive oil and cook onions and garlic till translucent
- Add broth/wine, juice from 1/2 lemon,hot sauce and shrimp
- Sprinkle salt and pepper
- Cook till shrimp begin to turn pink and curl this is about 5 min (don’t over cook or it’ll become too rubbery)
- Remove shrimp from heat and add 1tbls evoo and zoodles
- Once zoodles are cooked, toss the shrimp back in, add butter, red pepper flakes and parm cheese