Here’s something a little different for today, courtesy of my lady pal Tami (who shared it yesterday on her Facebook wall).
It’s a website called Dollars for Docs.
Premise: Dollars for Docs is a search tool. It allows you to see how much $$ your doctor received from pharmaceutical and medical device companies during the period from August 2013 – December 2014.
As an aside: I have no problem with anyone receiving money from anyone. But knowledge is power.
Why I’m Sharing
This isn’t a fitness resource, per se. But as a right-wing hippie and arm-chair conspiracy theorist, I’m feeling obliged to relate this to current issues with our health care system and general fitness.
A few (un)pleasant reminders:
- Our fundamental assumptions about health and nutrition affect our habits (and those of future generations)
- Our habits affect our fitness and health
- Our culture and health care system affect our fundamental assumptions
- Our culture and health care system are driven by forces other than a pure desire for good health
I’m not saying: your doctor is corrupt.
I am saying: that many doctors are driven by all the wrong incentives. Which isn’t necessarily their fault – because the whole system is driven by some bad incentives. (Incidentally – here is proof that bribing doctors works.)
I don’t know about you, but I take the things my doctor tells me with a grain of salt. It’s not that I don’t respect their medical degree – it’s more that:
- I’m not 100% confident that their medical degree represents the most up to date knowledge
- I’m not 100% confident that their biases (conscious and unconscious) don’t interfere with their choices and recommendations
- I’m not 100% confident that seeing me for 5 minutes gives them as much insight as my personal intuitions do
When it comes to surgery – I’ll take the doctor’s recommendation over my own.
But in a time when many doctors:
- are out of shape themselves;
- don’t sleep enough; AND
- are a little too quick with the prescription pad
..I’ll be damned if I’ll take their general lifestyle advice without a healthy dose of skepticism.
If you love Fat Girls Fitness, subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter.
(We won’t spam you)
And/or keep in touch with Fat Girls Fitness on Facebook 🙂
5 thoughts on “Dollars for Doctors”
Thank you 🙂
I totally agree with you! My doctor told me I had asthma only at night because of some unknown thing that came out at night was triggering the asthma. I took my inhaler prescription and left his office. Some time later I go on the ketogenic diet to get ripped and I stop having asthma attacks. What I have found out is, my body was over carbed and all the excess sugar was causing inflammation in my body.
Great post. I had a recent experience with a Doctor that I felt a little “meh” when I left the appointment… my dad met with a Doctor in that same office and he was told the same thing for himself. I mean, there is a chance we could have the same thing… we are related… but IDK.. we both felt it was a $$$$ thing more than a health thing.
“But as a right-wing hippie and arm-chair conspiracy theorist…” this is great. 🙂