Aside from the kind you get wasted in, I’m not the biggest fan of bars. By that I mean, I don’t (generally) eat:
- Protein and/or Weight Loss bars
- Cereal and/or Nut bars
- Nutrigrain bars
- Fiber One bars
- Quest bars
- Isagenix bars
- etc etc etc bars
- Taste. Many bars taste like chemicals.
- Calories vs. Satiety Some of these bars have a ton of calories for just a few bites. Even those bars high in protein don’t seem to satisfy me.
- Ingredients. I try to stick to whole foods. Many bars have too many weird ingredients.
- Expense. Bars tend to be pretty expensive for what they are.
Lara Bars are fruit & nut bars advertised as “food made from food.” They are one of the only bars that I eat. And even these, I don’t eat often.
What I like about Lara Bars:
- Made from whole foods. Take, for example, the Banana Bread flavor. It has only three ingredients: bananas, dates, and almonds
- They are vegan.
- They taste awesome. My favorite flavors are Cherry Pie (3 ingredients) and Carrot Cake (9 ingredients)
- Nutrition. Every flavor I’ve tried has had a great nutritional profile.
What I dislike about Lara Bars:
- Calories. Most are around 200-ish calories.
- Addicting. Maybe it’s me – but I find them slightly addicting. Meaning, I could easily eat five bars in one sitting. Not good!
- Not always easy to find. I get mine at Trader Joe’s, and they often don’t have my favorite flavors.
- Annoying website. Don’t even go on it, it’s not worth the agony.
If you’re looking for a decent bar, a Lara Bar might be a good pick. Especially if you’re trying to avoid processed foods.
But be wary. I would never buy a box and keep it in the house: the temptation is too strong.
If you love Fat Girls Fitness, subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter.
(We won’t spam you)
And/or keep in touch with Fat Girls Fitness on Facebook 🙂